Saturday, November 18, 2006

Men’s rights women’s rights debate…How about people? How about humanity?


-What about PEOPLE??-

Why do we always have to designate and separate man from women, women from man when we talk about relationships and sex? Its absolutely everywhere…from magazines about ‘what a man really wants’, (like somehow masses of men are so different from women), to conversations about objectification, sexualisation, sex and relationships between men and women – in that conversations centre around ‘women’ and ‘men’ and how they are different.

Sure, it would seem that I do this. I talk extensively about men and women, and how women today are commoditised and objectified whilst men gaze onward…I talk about power imbalances and exploitation and how it effects men and women in the world.

But here’s the thing:

I don’t believe that men are inherently different from women, nor vice versa. No, I don’t believe that testosterone is the great divide between man and women and how we think, feel and behave (and indeed studies show testosterone accounts for only small variances). I don’t believe that we all inherently have different needs (women and men in general that is). I believe that we are all taught. Social and observational learning is quite a big force, especially when we are social creatures. Social construction and identity – that’s big too, and usually unconscious to most.

It would seem that when matters of man and women are in hot debate, we categorise each into pigeonholes as completely sperate entities. Sure, I have been known to say things like – “I think that it is up to women to turn around the objectification of women.” – and hence can be seen laying responsibility on one of us ‘species’. I guess I think though that there is a difference here: I say such because ‘something needs to give’ regarding human relations, and since women are the ones in the mainstream that are bought and sold for sex, then I guess it is up to women to say ‘hell no I don’t want to be cheapened anymore’. Do I think this is fair: No. Shouldn’t have to be this way – but we can’t help ‘shoulds’ – there are many in this life…just is. Although in this it would seem that I am separating man from women – I’m not. I see it more as a whole of people – and people who, for example, disrespect each other. If you want to stop the disrespect, the one who’s being disrespected needs to stand up for themselves and command respect. The disrespected won’t stop disrespecting…if they are doing it in the first place, and are allowed/given permission, then they will continue unless ‘someone puts a stop to it’.

So when I see, for example, men talk about how ‘what a good man is/should be’, listing that he should, for example, treat people well and with respect, take responsibility for his actions, be secure in himself etc etc – I just think…that’s fantastic – but why can’t we just say people?? Not man, not women…people. When we talk about generations of the Patriarchy and women’s submissiveness – yes, once again I agree – but why can’t we start to see it all as ‘people respecting people’ – not man vs women or vice versa. I try to see it in a realm of human relations. I don’t identify with feminism (don’t even know what all the terms mean really). Most seem to categories themselves as to who they are ‘more for’ ‘more against’ – men’s rights vs women’s rights…what the? I say…what about peoples respect for people, peoples rights as people? How are we to ever mend the rafts between women and man (ie: inequalities; power imbalances; exploitation; abuse) when we who are insightful enough, intelligent enough, caring enough to discuss it and debate it can’t come together as people – to discuss people. How can us people come together when we don’t even identify each as one of the same – humanity.



4 Comments:

Blogger Renegade Evolution said...

holy crap, new entries!

Hey, there are a lot of folks out there, of both sexes, who argue for the "can't we all just be people?" Theory, and it is a damn interesting one, and for the sake of debate, I am going to go ahead and say while I do think there are some pretty intrinsic differences between men and women, that for a moment, I will pretend I do not. I am still not so sure how much that would change things, because there are PEOPLE, of both sexes, who would STILL be willing to exploit, use power plays, objectify and buy OTHER people. It may not be as common, but it would still be there.

8:39 AM  
Blogger Personal said...

Hey Ren Ev... yes I know - new entries - pretty impressive huh! Stay tuned for the next entry within the next 6 months! (kidding...I actually have a bit more time on hand hands at the moment...so I'll see how I go!)

I think I agree with you that regardless, there would be people who would still want to exploit people. But I guess I really do also feel that we need to start somewhere - and since there is such a divide between man and women - sounds like a good place. If I may quote myself (LOL):

"How are we to ever mend the rafts between women and man...when can’t come together as people – to discuss people. How can us people come together when we don’t even identify each as one of the same – humanity."

cheers for you visit!

3:49 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Who cares what you believe? You're NOT A SCIENTIST. Do you believe in glittery unicorn poop, too?

FACT IS, MEN & WOMEN are measurably BIOLOGICALLY different - both physically and mentally. This has been SCIENTIFICALLY-PROVEN, already! Now, get over it, bitch.

9:47 PM  
Blogger Personal said...

Firstly Malcolm XXX, please see my lastest posting for any future reference in case you feel the need to make comment.

Secondly, if you don't care what I believe why on earth does it bother you to waste your finger strokes on the keyboard? If you don't care, don't comment. If you actually have something of any form of intellect to say - you are most welcome.

Thirdly, godness me : umm, how do you know I am not a scientist? I could be anyone! I could be a scientist who studies hormones and their effects on each sex; I could be a Social Psychologist who studies people for a living; I could be a researcher who studies human behaviour. This is simply your assumption.

Fourthly, regarding these so called facts that men and owmen are measurably biologically different - both physically and mentally: Physically - of course we are. Mentally - in what way? Mentally is such a broad term. Are we talking intellect? Psychological functioning? Mentally in and of itself or how it effects behaviour? Emotion? Regarding science & this being proven: there is lots of science out there - which one are you reading? What is the scientific rigour of you research or are you watching soap box news? What aspect are you referring to? Quite simple, your hit and run statement is filled with questions and holes.

Lastly regarding your comment "Now, get over it, bitch."
Phew : I could say so much. The truth is I wonder what kind of person would come along and say such a thing? What is that purpose? What is your intent? What does it do for you? What does it say about you? What is it about you that made you feel that you needed and wanted to say such a thing?

I shake my head and know that I don't want to know you.

3:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home